Pages

Friday 20 July 2012

A Swimsuit Story...

Hey guys,
Salut à tous !

A short one today...
Un petit article aujourd'hui...

Talking about the interchangeable four-piece bathing suit I made last year for the DR trip.
À propos du bikini interchangeable que j'ai fait pour mon voyage de l'année dernière en République dominicaine.

I was talking with my girlfriends last week about swimsuit shopping.  They pretty much said they HATED to do this and one even said she had to be in a good mood to do that ! Well, since I have taken the life refashion pledge, i.e. never buying any clothes new again, I had to come up with a solution.   I am lucky to find many things that fit my body so I went thrifting for a bathing suit.  I found two I really liked so I bought them, deconstructed them and took the pieces to make a paper pattern.  I am CRAZY about the sixities !  And I LOVE polka dots.  So when I saw this gorgeous coupon of swimsuit fabric THREE YEARS ago, I could not help myself from having it.  I knew I wanted to make a swimsuit out of it.  I also had taken a workshop on how to make my own bra, so that  helped !  Oh, and I also had enough material to make a flirty skirt !
La semaine dernière, je jasais de magasinage de maillot de bain avec mes copines.  Elles disaient presque toutes qu'elles détestaient faire cela et l'une d'elles disait même qu'elle devait être de bonne humeur !  Moi, comme j'ai fait le serment de ne plus jamais acheter de vêtements neufs à vie, je devais trouver une solution.  Je suis chanceuse de pouvoir trouver beaucoup de vêtements qui me font alors j'ai trouvé deux bikinis usagés qui me faisaient bien.  Je les ai décousus et pris les pièces pour faire des morceaux de patron de papier.  J'ADORE les années soixante !  Et les POIS !  Alors quand j'ai trouvé ce merveilleux coupon de tissu de maillot de bain il y a TROIS ANS, je ne pouvais m'empêcher de l'avoir.  Je savais que je voulais en faire un maillot de bain.  J'avais aussi pris un cours sur la confection de soutien-gorge alors ça a aidé aussi !  Oh, et j'avais assez de tissu pour me faire une jolie jupette.

Here goes:
Alors voici:

The top has underwire
Le haut a des cerceaux



I used an existing clasp from a previous bathing suit.  The large straps are very comfortable.
J'ai utilisé le fermoir d'un bikini existant.  Les larges bretelles sont très confortables.


This top is a little more subtle and has less support.
                   Ce haut est un peu plus subtil et donne un peu moins de support.

Without the skirt.
Sans la jupette.



Oops, my back strap is twisted... The joys of taking self pictures...
Oups, la bande de dos est tournée... Les joies de faire des auto-portraits...

They are all serged and topstitched with a double needle.  I had a lot of fun making them.  And even more wearing them !!!
Ils sont tous surjetés et surpiqués avec une aiguille double.  J'ai eu beaucoup de plaisir à les faire et encore plus à les porter !!!

Happy summer !
Bon été !

Claudia

4 comments:

  1. You've done an amazing job making these swimsuits from a pattern you've made yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! It is easy to do when you use something you KNOW fits you well and you just basically copy it onto different fabric. But the workshop on bra-making really helped with the metal underwires. Thanks for stopping by !

      Delete
  2. Dropping by from the Sew Darn Crafty link party.

    Love the polka dots. You did a great job and it looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Glad you stopped by !

      Delete