Pages

Sunday 8 July 2012

A Jacket From Pants


I have thrifted some really ill-fitting orange pants but I could not resist the fabric (I love me some orange !),  They had some nice details on them and I always thought I could make something neat out of them with that lovely fabric.  Well, I have been inspired by Bartinki and her pant-coats here and here, as well as Huli.  My pants were not very big but I thought I could make something wearable.  I like to think out of the box more and more and I NEED to refashion the PILE of clothes I have because it is ridiculous...
J'ai acheté des pantalons orange qui ne font vraiment pas bien mais j'adore le tissu orange !  Il y avait aussi des éléments intéressants et j'ai toujours pensé que je pourrais faire quelque chose de joli avec ce beau tissu.  J'ai été inspirée par Bartinki et ses manteaux-pantalons ici et ici ainsi que par Huli.  Mes pantalons n'étaient pas très grands mais je pensais être capable de faire quelque chose que je pourrais porter.  J'aime penser hors des conventions et j'ai VRAIMENT besoin de faire quelque chose avec la PILE de vêtements que j'ai parce que c'est ridicule...

On another note, I have been frantically trying to organize my sewing room today.  I cannot show you already because you will call "Hoarders" on me for sure !  But soon, I am hoping to have it "presentable".  At least, it is workable now !
Sur une autre note, j'ai travaillé d'arrache-pied sur l'organisation de ma salle de couture aujourd'hui.  Je ne peux pas vous montrer des photos parce que vous appelleriez un l'émission "Paralysé par le fouillis" !  Mais bientôt, j'espère pouvoir la rendre présentable.  Au moins je peux y travailler maintenant !

So here are the pants.  Seriously... have you ever seen worse puckering...
Alors voici les pantalons.  Sérieusement... avez-vous déjà vu autant de plis...




So I did not have a pattern.  Whatever, I have good fitting jackets.  Let's get them out and trace the pattern from them.
Je n'avais pas de patron.  Qu'à cela ne tienne, j'ai des manteaux qui me font.  On va tracer leur patron.

Warning: If you chose to do this, be sure that the fabric is the same TYPE, i.e. non-stretchy if your pants (mine) are non-stretchy (ahem...)  oh well...  So I traced one sleeve on one pant leg, making sure the hem was at the right spot (less work for moi !).  Also, don't forget your seam allowances !
Avertissement:  So vous choisissez de procéder de la sorte, assurez-vous que le tissu du vêtement est du même TYPE que celui du tissu, i.e. non-extensible si vos pantalons (les miens) sont non-extensibles (ahem...) Donc j'ai tracé une manche sur une patte, en plaçant le bord au bord du pantalon (moins de travail pour moi !).  Aussi, ne pas oublier les allocations de couture !

Stretchy jacket on non-stretchy material... rookie mistake !
Un manteau extensible sur du tissu non-extensible... erreur d'amateur !

I copied the second sleeve on the second leg.  Then came the front.  I wanted to have a slightly longer jacket than the examples I had seen.  So I put my pants upside down at the height I thought would be good.  
J'ai donc copié la deuxième manche sur la deuxième patte.  Puis le devant.  Je voulais mon manteau un peu plus long que les exemples que j'avais vus.  J'ai donc placé mes pantalons tête en bas à la hauteur désirée.

A non-stretchy jacket now.  Better !
Un manteau non-extensible.  Mieux !
Both pieces of the front together.  Looks like the sun doesn't it ?
Les deux pièces du devant.  Ça fait soleil, non ?

When I came to the back, there were big pieces missing...  What to do ?  I needed to piece another fabric.  Of course, try to find another orange fabric, even in my stash - nearly impossible (when everything is closed anyways).  So I decided on a very bold patterned fabric pencil skirt (which was stretchy, which was perfect because it could allow a little give to my jacket if required...).  
Quand je suis arrivée au dos, il manquait de gros morceaux...  Que faire ?  J'avais besoin d'autres morceaux de tissus.  Évidemment, essayer de trouver d'autres tissus orange, même dans mon butin est presqu'impossible, surtout que les magasins sont fermés...  J'ai donc décidé d'utiliser une jupe droite faite de tissu avec un motif audacieux et extensible (ce qui serait utile si j'avais besoin d'un peu d'aisance...)

Stretchy bold fabric !
Tissu audacieux et extensible !

I had to trace the back pattern on a piece of newspaper so I could mark the pieces needed, which I did.  I cut the pieces from my skirt and sewed them in.  My pant fabric is VERY fraying.  I noticed that the fabric inside was all serged and I understood why...   
J'ai dû tracer le patron sur du papier journal pour pouvoir tracer les morceaux nécessaires.  J'ai coupé mes morceaux de la jupe et les ai cousus.  Mon tissu de pantalons s'effiloche facilement.  J'ai remarqué que le tissu à l'intérieur était tout surjeté.  Je comprends pourquoi...

Big chunks missing...Gros morceaux manquants...
Starting piecing...
On commence les pièces...

Piecing finished, on both sides !  Check out the top BIAS pieces...
La couture des pièces est terminée !  Voyez le haut où les morceaux sont coupées sur le biais...

Here is the inside !  Hurrah for the serger !
L'intérieur !  Hourra pour la surjeteuse !

When you design your own pattern and work from clothes, and not fabric on a bolt, you might have to ajdust some things.  I always machine baste my seams before sewing them with a shorter stitch and serging them.  In fact, I had to unpick a few seams for different reasons I won't go into right now...
Also, I was missing some fabric, remember...  I then had to cut another piece of orange fabric.  Well, I could not get it on the grain so I had to be creative and cut on the bias.  Well, the thing about bias is it is not very stable...  You'll see what happened later.
Lorsqu'on dessine son propre patron et qu'on travaille à partir de vêtements et non de tissu plein, on doit faire des ajustements.  Je commence toujours par bâtir à la machine (long point) avant de coudre avec un petit point et surjeter.  En fait, j'ai dû découdre à quelques reprises pour différentes raisons dont je ne parlerai pas ici...  Il manquait aussi du tissu dans le dos...  J'ai donc dû couper deux autres morceaux de tissu orange.  Malheureusement, je n'ai pas pu l'avoir sur le droit-fil alors avec un peu de créativité, j'ai coupé sur le biais.  Le problème avec le biais c'est qu'il n'est pas très stable...  Vous verrez ce qui s'est passé plus tard.

When I was satisified with my general pattern, I sewed my pieces.  As I kind of winged all of it, I don't have a perfect picture with all the pieces, sorry.  But here are the pieces:
Quand je fus satisfaite de mon patron général, j'ai cousu mes morceaux.  Comme j'ai improvisé le tout, je n'ai pas une photo parfaite de tous les morceaux utilisés, désolée.  Mais voici les morceaux:

- 2 fronts (from pant top, front)  2 devants (haut des pantalons, devant)
- 2 sleeves (from pant legs)  2 manches (pattes des pantalons)
- 2 bottom backs (from pant top, back) 2 bas de dos (haut de pantalons, dos)
- 2 side backs (from darker fabric) - kind of princess lines... 2 côtés dos (tissu foncé) - couture simili-princesse...
- 2 biais cut top backs (from scraps) 2 hauts de dos, coupés sur le biais (des restes de tissu)
- 2 collars (both interfaced because the fabric is very thin and fraying) - from scraps 2 cols (les deux entoilés car le tissu est mince et s'effiloche) - des restes de tissus

So I sewed in this order:  Ordre des coutures:

1- Dark piece to back (x2)  Morceau foncé - bas du dos (x2)
2- Bias-cut piece (top back) to back (x2)  haut de dos (biais) - dos  (x2)
3- shoulder seams coutures épaules
4- sleeves seams coutures manches
5- side seams, including sleeves  coutures côtés, incluant les manches

Of course,  for each seam: a) machine baste,  b) shorter stitch length,  c) serge
Évidemment, pour chaque couture:  a) bâti machine, b) petit point, c) surjeté

Now for the collar...  Well I did not have enough fabric to make a traditional pointy collar.  But with a  little creative piecing, I could make a chinese collar !  And I had just the jacket with one so I could trace the pattern from it.  Perfect !
Maintenant le col...  Je n'avais pas assez de tissu pour faire un col traditionnel pointu.   Mais avec du raboutage créatif, j'ai pu faire un col chinois !  Et j'avais justement un manteau qui avait ce type de col que je pouvais tracer.  Parfait !

For the closure: At first I wanted to put buttons but the look was not quite OK.  It looked unbalanced.  So I decided to look through my stash of zippers.  Yipee !  I have so much - I am obsessed with zippers ! (see end of this post)  So I have all the colours of the rainbow in any shape size or form.  At first, I thought of using my most expensive zipper: 25$ for a multicoloured teeth zipper.  It is a BEAUTY and it would have been really cool.  The thing is, I would have had to cut the zipper and I could not bring myself to do that.  I got it in NYC and it is very precious and needs to be SEEN and exposed on a fabulous garment.  I like my jacket but I did not think it fit the bill.  So I found a nice orange nylon separable zipper, perfect for my jacket.  Now, this zipper is very thick.  So instead of cutting it, I decided to have it follow my collar a bit.  It actually looks like piping !
Pour fermer le manteau;  Au début, je voulais installer des boutons mais ça n'avait pas l'air bien.  Il avait l'air déséquilibré.  Alors j'ai décidé de chercher dans mon butin de fermetures éclairs.  Youpi !  J'en ai tellement.  Je suis obsédée pas les fermetures éclairs !  (voir la fin de cet article).  J'ai toutes les couleurs de l'arc-en-ciel dans tous les types et les longueurs.  Au début, je voulais utiliser ma fermeture éclair la plus chère: 25$ pour une fermeture multicolore.  C'est une BEAUTÉ et elle aurait super bien fait mais j'aurais été obligée de la couper et je ne pouvais pas m'y résigner.  Je l'ai achetée à New York et elle est précieuse et a besoin d'être EXPOSÉE sur un vêtement fabuleux.  J'aime ce manteau mais je ne croyais pas qu'il était assez impressionnant.  J'ai donc trouvé une très belle fermeture séparable orange en nylon, parfaite pour mon manteau.  Mais cette fermeture est très épaisse.  Alors au lieu de la couper, j'ai décidé de la faire suivre mon col un peu.  Ça a l'air d'un passepoil !




So here are the mistakes I made, and hopefully won't make again...
Alors voici les erreurs que j'ai faites et que j'espère ne plus faire...

- Using a stretchy coat pattern on non stretchy fabric (rookie mistake, ugh...)
- Utiliser un vêtement extensible pour tracer un patron sur du tissu non-extensible (ugh, erreur de débutant...)
- Tracing directly on pants (should have been on paper first...)
- Tracer directement sur les pantalons (j'aurais dû utiliser du papier...)
- One sleeve sewn right side to wrong side (whaaaat ?)
- Coudre un manche endroit sur envers (quooiiiii ?)
- Cutting my collar too short (ended up working with a few tweekings...)
- Couper mon col un peu trop court (fini par fonctionner avec un peu de fignolage)
- Not lining it - I HATE lining (the verb) and I also want people to be able to see that it is from actual pants (yeah right...)
- Ne pas doubler - Je déteste doubler et je veux aussi que les gens puissent voir que ça vient d'un pantalon à l'intérieur (ahan...)
- my fronts were not the same length which made a problem with the zipper...  I had to resew one a bit shorter.  Hopefully, it won't show too much.
- mes devants n'étaient pas de la même longueur, ce qui a causé un problème avec la fermeture...  J'ai dû re-coudre un peu plus court.  En espérant que ça ne se voit pas trop...
- The joining of the two biais-cut pieces is VERY WONKY.  I still don't know what to do with it.  If anyone has an idea, please tell me !!!
- La couture des morceaux coupés sur le biais est TRÈS ONDULÉE.  Je ne sais toujours pas quoi faire avec.  Si quelqu'un a une idée, je suis ouverte !!!

Oops, this is sideways... Hopefully you get the picture...
Oups, c'est sur le côté...  J'espère que vous voyez le problème...

- It puckers a bit toward the back armhole but it is not too bad for used clothing fabric.
- Ça plisse un peu autour du dessous de bras en arrière mais ce n'est pas trop mal pour du tissu de vêtements usagés.

So here is the (almost) finished product on me:
Voici donc le produit (presque) terminé sur moi:

It is 1 AM and I am trying to take self timer pictures...
Il est 1 am et j'essaie de prendre une auto-photo...

The almost finished part includes hiding those loose threads...  I quite like the darker pieces.
La partie "presque" finie inclut les fils qui restent à cacher...  J'aime bien les morceaux plus foncés

How awkward do I look here...
Pas ma meilleure pose ici...


Oh, and here is what is left of the pants:
J'oubliais: voici ce qu'il reste des pantalons:



OK, I think I am done now.  Hope you enjoyed it.  I surely did and I am going to make some more for sure !
Ouf, je pense que j'ai fini !  J'espère que vous avez aimé.  Moi, j'ai beaucoup aimé mon expérience et je vais en faire encore, c'est certain !

Peace

Claudia

24 comments:

  1. My that is a clever refashion. I love orange too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The farbic is textured too so double whammy !

      Delete
  2. Wow, how creative, I would never have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes, you just play around with the fabric and it gives you a whole new meaning :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks ! I am somewhat amazed myself to have been able to pull that off with so little usable fabric ! Necessity is the mother of invention !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole. Stay tuned for more "out-of-the-box" refashions.

      Delete
  5. Great job! I too like the darker fabric... it looks like it was meant to be there.
    So will the sleeves be rolled up a bit? Just wondering.
    Way to make use of something you had.
    djcogdill@q.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean,

      Thanks for your comment ! As for the sleeves, I had not even noticed about the length but you are right. I will have to check this. If I was adventurous, I would put in zippers for the whole motorcycle jacket look. Although, the orange kinds of gives it away methinks... ;)

      Delete
  6. That is so clever! I love orange too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very clever refashion!!! Your improvisational skills are top notch!!! The mandarin collar looks perfect on this jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam ! The challenge was quite interesting and it was the first time I did something as intricate. But I don't think it will be the last... Thanks for commenting !

      Delete
  8. Inspiration!!!
    I'm beyond impressed.
    Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! It is so funny because I just FINALLY finished it and WORE it yesterday for the first time ! Some coincidence... I am trying to replicate it with another pair of pants too so stay tuned. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. ty^^ for your posting,sewing time is so happy that it turned tailor forget the time ever in the pasting days,now i founded a new spot i can i pay my attentions on ,and that is http://www.prettytailor.com/ , just share my happiness with me,my buddy,ty ^^ again for your posting content.really.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merci beaucoup, c'est exactement ce que je cherchais. Et merci pour le français ! C'est génial !
    Gini

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!! I will try to doit!! I love you idea, i am alway refashion my mom´s old clothes for me, this is one of the best idea i found it. :) congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Canberra Cash For Cars is a top scrap car buyer. We have a licensed scrap car yard Canberra, where we salvage and recycle all makes and models of cars, vans, Utes, SUVs, trucks, and 4WDs.


    Scrap Car Yard Canberra

    ReplyDelete
  13. We buy cars and pay quick cash for any scrap, old, or damaged vehicle up to $9,999. Max Cash For Cars Brisbane is a reliable and licensed service that has assisted many Australians to get rid of their old, damaged vehicles, and get top cash in return.


    sell my car brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are car removal Melbourne experts and have years of experience in buying and removing vehicles. From two-wheelers to eight wheelers, we handle all makes and models of vehicles efficiently.


    car removal melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, you’re amazing I love to read your article I’m waiting for your new article keep sharing I can’t find your newsletter if you have, please share with me if you want to sell your vehicle and find a good platform, we are here you can easily contact us cash for car sunshine coast

    ReplyDelete