Pages

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Jeans From Skirt

What ?  Don't you mean "Skirt from Jeans" ?  Nope !  I just thougth I'd try the reverse...
Quoi ?  Tu ne veux pas dire "Jupe à partir d'un jeans " ?  Non !  J'ai pensé essayer le contraire...

A lot of people give me a TON of clothes because they know I refashion.  Of course, they are not all of my size, which is good because I get more fabric like that.
Beaucoup de gens me donnent des TONNES de vêtements usagés parce qu'ils savent que je fais de la reconstruction.  Évidemment, ils ne sont pas tous de ma taille, ce qui est bien car j'ai plus de tissu.

So a good friend of mine gave me this maxi jeans skirt:
Donc, une de mes bonnes copines m'a donné cette jupe maxi:

Nice little X's on the side :)
Jolis petits X sur les côtés :)

Well, I am 5 foot 2ish so maxi is not very flattering on me.  Sorry, no picture...  But it had a really nice detail on the side.  I refashion clothes mostly because some seams are already made !  Yeah !
Je mesure seulement 5 pieds 2 alors une jupe maxi ne me fait pas trop bien.  Désolée, pas de photo... Mais cette jupe a de très beaux détails sur les côtés.  Je reconstruis des vêtements surtout parce que plusieurs détails sont déjà faits.  Yé !

So I thought I would try to get a pair of jeans out of this skirt...
Donc, j'ai pensé faire une paire de jeans à partir de cette jupe...

If you have already made a skirt from jeans, you know you have to unpick a lilttle bit of the middle seams and then cut the piece that goes "between your legs".  Well, if you are making jeans out of a skirt, you need to add that piece.  So first things first...  Get a pattern.  My favorite way: tracing on paper from good fitting pants.  Now a TIP to trace patterns from garments:  use a cardboard tracing mat (or simple cardboard box, undone) and pin on the seams through the paper and cardboard.  Then you just need to join the dots (just like when we were young...)
Si vous avez déjà fait une jupe à partir de jeans, vous savez que vous devez découdre les coutures du milieu devant et dos un peu et couper le morceau qui va "entre les jambes".  Alors, si vous faites des jeans à partir d'une jupe, vous devez ajouter ce morceau.  Mais première chose: il faut un patron.  Ma façon préférée: le tracer sur papier à partir d'un pantalon qui me fait bien.  Un TRUC pour tracer un patron de vêtements existants: utiliser un carton à tracer (ou simplement ouvrir une boîte de carton) et placer les épingles sur les coutures dans le papier et le carton.  Ensuite, il ne vous reste à joindre les points (comme quand on était petit...)

Pattern cutting board
Carton à tracer

Do you see the pins ?
Voyez-vous les épingles ?

Once you have your pattern (a bit tricky I must say...), you try to fit it to your skirt:
Une fois que  vous avez le patron (un peu difficile je dois avouer...), il faut le faire ajuster à la jupe:

Here is the front
Morceau devant

For the back, I had to add a piece of jeans
Pour le dos, j'ai ajouté un morceau d'un autre jeans

Of course, the back has a wider piece add-on.  Just figure out the size needed and cut a piece.  DON'T forget seam ALLOWANCE !
Évidemment, le dos a un morceau ajouté plus gros.  Il faut simplement déduire la taille nécessaire et couper le morceau.  NE PAS oublier l'allocation de couture !

Here is the piece that I have to cut double.  Don't forget to cut a mirror image of it...
Voici le morceau dos que je dois couper en double.  Ne pas oublier de le retourner...

Before adding the pieces, you need to unpick the interior seams (a very time consuming task) and then press very well.  When the pieces are cut, just sew them on and press.
Avant d'ajouter les morceaux, on doit découdre les coutures intérieures (ça prend beaucoup de temps...) et presser très bien.  Quand les morceaux sont coupés, coudre et presser.

The first seam you do is the back seam and then, the font seam.
La première couture à faire est celle du milieu dos et ensuite, du milieu devant.


Back seam.
Couture du dos.
Then, turn the pants front on back (good side to good side) and sew.  TIP:  Start with the center of the seam and go down one side, and then, do the other one, from the center.
Ensuite, tourner les pantalons devant sur dos (endroit contre endroit) et coudre.  TRUC:  Commencer au centre et coudre vers les extrémités, un côté à la fois.

Front on back, pinned and ready to sew.
Dos sur devant épinglé et prêt à coudre.

So here is the final result:
Voici le résultat final:

Yep !  Jeans from a skirt !
Oui, des jeans à partir d'une jupe !

Back view
Vue arrière

I love that pretty "X" detail on the side.
J'adore les petits "X" sur les côtés.

In sewing the interior seam, the bottom edge ended up uneven so I rolled them but I will finish them.  I might make some capri pants because I love wearing them.
Lorsque j'ai cousu l'intérieur, les bas des jambes sont devenues inégaux donc je les ai roulés.  Mais je vais les finir plus tard, peut-être en capri car j'adore porter des capris.

Here is the center piece:
Voici le morceau central:

The jeans I chose was a bit different colour but it is hidden when you wear it...
Le jeans que j'ai choisi était d'une couleur légèrement différente mais c'est caché quand on le porte...

So I am fairly happy with the result.  I would give it a 7/10.  Since it was a trial, I did not fret on the colour but if I was to make it again, I would choose a better fitting colour.
Je suis assez heureuse du résultat.  Je lui donnerais 7/10.  Comme c'était un essai, je ne m'en fais pas pour la couleur mais si c'était à refaire, je choisirais  une couleur plus pareille à celle de la jupe.


Here is what I learned:
Voici ce que j'ai appris:

- Chose a piece of jeans the same colour as you main garment.
Choisir un jeans de la même couleur que la jupe
- It would have been easier to unpick my beige pants to get the exact pattern...
Il aurait été plus facile de découdre mes pantalons beige pour obtenir le patron exact...
- The crotch is a bit uncomfortable in the front because I did not curve it enough.  I should have added a small piece...
L'entre-jambe est un peu inconfortable au devant car le morceau n'est pas assez courbé.  J'aurais dû ajouter un petit morceau...
- It is good to work with stretch fabric.
C'est bien d'utiliser du tissu extensible.

I might bleach it white and dye it afterwards...
Je vais peut-être le blanchir dans l'eau de javel et le teindre après...

Hope you liked it !
J'espère que vous avez aimé !

Peace

Claudia

18 comments:

  1. Wow is pretty much all I can say. I would never be brave enough (or creative enough) to give that a go! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emme. I guess I would not have tried this a few years ago but with time, I get a little more creative and brave. Thanks for stopping by !

      Delete
  2. I swing my hat in admiration; definitely as success even at first go!

    Greets, Gerlinde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gerlinde for your nice comment !

      Delete
  3. Well done, very creative solution.

    Christiana
    sewamusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christiana. Thanks for stopping by !

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne ! Lots more where that came from ;)

      Delete
  5. Love your tutorial. I am absolutley amazed at your creatvity very inspiring.Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becky. I think necessity is the mother of invention and I try to use things I already have and turn them into different things while thinking outside the box. Thanks for stopping by !

      Delete
  6. What a cute wonderful idea! I often see skirts at yard sales, but do not wear skirts. If I was brave enough to try this I could even get jeans to fit my "curvy" upper thighs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy,

    I encourage you to try one with a cheap skrt. Just use your favorite pants as a template and go at it. You'll get better with practice ! Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cooooool!!!!!! I love anything I can do with jeans.
    First time I have been here but bet I will be back. I like to make purses and tote bags from other clothes,hats too, most of my stuff is reversable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindylee,

      Welcome ! I am fairly new to this blogging adventure and since I am a teacher, I have a LOT of time right now. I also like to work with jeans because the fabric has body and is fairly easy to sew. I also like that you stuff is reversible !

      I have TONS of things I made before I blogged and I will try to make a post of them on this blog. So thanks for stopping by and hope you come again !

      Delete
  9. This is very cool! I have a pair of pants that would make a great skirt that I need to tackle. This would be a bit daunting for me so I am super impressed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine ! Making a skirt out of pants is a bit easier than the reverse. There are a lot of tutorials on the net too. Good luck !

      Delete
  10. Thank you Ben. Glad you learned something ! Stop by again !

    ReplyDelete